Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I beg to disagree

'Gay conservative' is oxymoron
Star Parker - Syndicated Columnist - 2/14/2011 10:15:00 AM

CPAC, the Conservative Political Action Conference, has been an annual gig for me for years. But this year I concluded it was not my place and I declined to participate in the various venues at the event for which I was invited.

Yes, the reason I declined was the inclusion of GOProud, a group identifying itself as representing "gay conservatives and their allies," as a sponsor of the event.

And it's the reason why some of the nation's most important conservative organizations -- the Heritage Foundation, the American Family Association, Concerned Women of America, Family Research Council, Media Research Center, and the National Organization for Marriage -- did not participate.

The founder and chairman of GOProud removed any doubt on my part that not participating was the correct decision by dismissing these groups as "losers," "clowns," and "not relevant."

I, of course, have been accused of being worse than a clown. The barrage regularly comes in from the left. But this is a first that I've had to listen to this kind of stuff from a group that postures as "conservative."

I became a conservative in church. I thought I was doing okay in my previous life -- scamming the welfare system, going to the beach, soaking in my welfare-subsidized hot tub, treating sex as a hobby, and abortion as birth control.

In our culture today that views material prosperity as the ultimate barometer of success, the truth is becoming unfortunately lost that the evil man can prosper. And if there is nothing more than what is before our eyes in this world, what does it matter?

When I understood how the culture of welfare state materialism was destroying not just my life, but also all of black America, there was no dividing line in my mind between "social issues" and "economic issues." The only dividing line I saw was between right and wrong, good and evil.

The idea of "gay conservative" is an oxymoron.

"Gay" is everything that "conservative" is not.

(to see the whole post, click on the title of this post.)

So, you can't be "Gay" and Conservative at the same time? Says who? Who makes the rules on that? If a Gay man or woman want to believe in God, country and honor, as well as the US Constitution, a smaller, fiscally responsible government, and the majority of other, traditionally conservative ideals, what would you call him or her?

I can tell you what the liberals would call such a person. "Fool," for taking sides with a movement that would deny them the right to marry whomever they choose. "Idiot," for joining sides with people who would cherry pick the bible, over things "they" think should be part of law. Part of a Christian "Sharia style law" if you will. If we did everything according to the rules set in the bible, over 1000 years ago, African-Americans would still be slaves. Once every 28 days or so, husbands of families would be sending their wives into exile until their menstrual period was over. No one would eat pork, and oh, no more cheese on hamburgers either. Of course, the good side, men could have more than one wife. I guess a little good does come with the bad, sometimes.

I don't agree with everything in the so called list of conservative ideals, but I do agree with the vast majority. Would you throw away my potential support, just because I don't agree with everything? Is it written somewhere that ALL conservatives have to agree on everything?

Frankly, I'm starting to think that the "compassionate conservative" is an Oxymoron. I'm not seeing very much compassion from the "mainstream" conservatives for their Gay and Lesbian supporters.

 Current Mood: Amazed
 Current Music: Tim McGraw - Southern Voice
My Carry Pistol: Rock Island Armory M1911-A1 .45ACP

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big Star Parker fan and don't think she articulated her case well.

I'm not a "gay conservative." I'm a conservative who happens to be gay. The problem with "gay conservatives" like GOProud is that they are introducing group identity politics which will cut off the branch that we are sitting on. Our strongest argument is that we are demanding our individual rights not group rights.

Big Gay Al said...

Your point is well taken. Yet it seems that sometimes, the only way that Conservative Gays are even noticed, is as a group. Then again, I guess the question then is, what comes first, being Gay, or being Conservative?

Anonymous said...

Hi Al, It's only a problem if we are looking for some sort of special treatment as a group. I'm not. I'm just an American first, then a libertarian Republican and then a farmer and businessman and finally gay. I'm quite happy with my rights as an individual American and don't need any special rights.

Big Gay Al said...

Let me add, I don't believe in special rights for anyone. On the other hand, I don't believe in taking away rights from people, just because they don't fit my idea of what people should be and act like.

Currently, the only people who can have their rights lawfully taken are convicted criminals. That is where it should end.