A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives
November 14th, 2006
To My Conservative Brothers and Sisters,
I know you are dismayed and disheartened at the results of last week's election. You're worried that the country is heading toward a very bad place you don't want it to go. Your 12-year Republican Revolution has ended with so much yet to do, so many promises left unfulfilled. You are in a funk, and I understand.
Well, cheer up, my friends! Do not despair. I have good news for you. I, and the millions of others who are now in charge with our Democratic Congress, have a pledge we would like to make to you, a list of promises that we offer you because we value you as our fellow Americans. You deserve to know what we plan to do with our newfound power -- and, to be specific, what we will do to you and for you.
Thus, here is our Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives:
Dear Conservatives and Republicans,
I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises to you:
1. We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs. We will never, ever, call you "unpatriotic" simply because you disagree with us. In fact, we encourage you to dissent and disagree with us.
Because, as a friend of mine put it, to disagree with someone being ANTI-American (i.e., YOU) IS Patriotic.
2. We will let you marry whomever you want, even when some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral." Who you marry is none of our business. Love and be in love -- it's a wonderful gift.
Really? Gee, I wonder then, why did the Anti-Gay marriage acts pass so overwhelmingly in so many Red states, like Michigan, for instance?
3. We will not spend your grandchildren's money on our personal whims or to enrich our friends. It's your checkbook, too, and we will balance it for you.Sure, if you call having 0 in the account, balancing.
4. When we soon bring our sons and daughters home from Iraq, we will bring your sons and daughters home, too. They deserve to live. We promise never to send your kids off to war based on either a mistake or a lie.Unless of course it's YOUR mistake or lie, right.
5. When we make America the last Western democracy to have universal health coverage, and all Americans are able to get help when they fall ill, we promise that you, too, will be able to see a doctor, regardless of your ability to pay. And when stem cell research delivers treatments and cures for diseases that affect you and your loved ones, we'll make sure those advances are available to you and your family, too.When you make America the last Western Democracy to have universal health coverage, America won't be a democracy anymore.
6. Even though you have opposed environmental regulation, when we clean up our air and water, we, the Democratic majority, will let you, too, breathe the cleaner air and drink the purer water.We don't oppose it, we simply find YOUR solutions to be totally unreasonable, and un-doable.
7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.That's hilarious. YOU had the chance during your last watch to bring him in, and YOU didn't.
8. We will never stick our nose in your bedroom or your womb. What you do there as consenting adults is your business. We will continue to count your age from the moment you were born, not the moment you were conceived.Yes, and you'll turn abortion into an accepted form of contraception, something that every girl from the age of 10 on up will have unfettered access to.
9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport. We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.Ok, so you make the streets free from guns. WHAT ABOUT CRIME? How am I to stop a felonious assault after you've taken away my only means of self-defense? And FYI, the 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting, you big, fat moron!
10. When we raise the minimum wage, we will pay you -- and your employees -- that new wage, too. When women are finally paid what men make, we will pay conservative women that wage, too.Really? HOW are you going to pay me if I don't have a JOB? Where am I going to get a job, after all the potential employers have cut back their work force in order to pay this new minimum wage?
11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."). We will let people in other countries know that God doesn't just bless America, he blesses everyone. We will discourage religious intolerance and fanaticism -- starting with the fanaticism here at home, thus setting a good example for the rest of the world.But you already said you're going to violate my religious beliefs, by taking away my guns! By taking away my GOD-Given right to self-defense! You're not even actually in office, and you're already violating my religious freedom! What a load of horse crap!
12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition.Really? Well why the heck didn't you guys do anything about Bill Clinton? Oh, sorry, I forgot. You didn't make this "deal" with us then, did you. Oh, and FYI, you're not "in power." Not yet. And not for another 2 years, at least.
I promise all of the above to you because this is your country, too. You are every bit as American as we are. We are all in this together. We sink or swim as one. Thank you for your years of service to this country and for giving us the opportunity to see if we can make things a bit better for our 300 million fellow Americans -- and for the rest of the world.
In case you don't get it, your pledge means NOTHING to me. It's a ton of bull crap, and I ain't gonna fall for it.
Current Mood: Blah
Current Music: None
Current Gun: Taurus PT92AFS