Monday, November 20, 2006

Gun Facts, Part Four

Myth: People do not need concealable weapons

Fact: In 80% of gun defenses, the defender used a concealable handgun. A quarter of the gun defenses occurred in places away from the defender's home.17

Fact: 77% of all violent crime occurs in public places.18 This makes concealed carry necessary for almost all self-defense needs. But due to onerous laws forbidding concealed carry, only 26.8% of defensive gun uses occurred away from home.19

Fact: Often small weapons (that are capable of being concealed) are the only ones usable by people of small stature, or those with physical disabilities.

Fact: The average citizen doesn’t need a Sport Utility Vehicle, but driving one is arguably safer than other vehicles. Similarly, carrying a concealable gun makes the owner (and his/her community) safer as well, providing protection not otherwise available.

17 "Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun," by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, in The Journal of Criminal Law & Criminology, Northwestern University School of Law, Volume 86, Number 1, Fall, 1995
18 U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, “Criminal Victimization in the United States”, 1993
19 Kleck and Gertz, National Self Defense Survey, 1995

This one is another favorite. How many of you have been told, if you feel afraid, call the police, hire security, get an alarm. Pardon me for laughing, but at my income level, I can't afford either a security guard, nor an alarm service. My best form of self defense is myself, with my gun. I've done pretty good for 40 years, I should be able to protect myself and my family for at least another 30 years.

Current Mood: Amused
Current Music: Wolfe Tones - Rifles of the IRA
Current Gun: Tanfoglio Witness .45ACP

No comments: